“Connecting, supporting, honoring, and serving the partnersand spouses of America’s LGBT servicemembers and veterans.”
Making change happen isn’t easy; it takes dedicated people who are committed to equality for our modern military families. Because of our dedicated members and leadership team, AMPA has had some major accomplishments in 2012 to add to our already proven record:
Exploding in growth, AMPA connected LGBT military families across the country and around the world through our:
- LGBT Military Family Events like our Military Partner Brunch series, family BBQs, and holiday parties in eleven cities around the country.
- The nation’s largest Private Online Support Network for same-sex military partners and spouses.
- Summer and Fall outreach campaigns in Kansas City, MO; Washington, DC; San Luis Obispo, CA; Tacoma, WA; San Diego, CA; Norfolk, VA; Fayetteville, NC; Las Vegas, NV; Austin, TX; Raleigh-Durham, NC; Tucson, AZ; Oceanside, CA; and Jacksonville, FL.
Making sure our families get the resources they need, AMPA supported our LGBT military families through our:
- Partnership with the U.S. Navy Fleet & Family Support Program with our monthly LGBT Military Family Support Meeting in San Diego, CA.
- National Online Educational Seminar on “Dealing With Deployments.”
- Leadership presentations in local and national educational seminars on the needs of our LGBT military families.
- Publication of our AMPA educational guides: “The Supreme Court Considers Same-Sex Marriage,” “AMPA Benefits Guide to LGB Military Families,” and “DOMA Hinders Benefits to Military Families – A Summary for Lawmakers.”
AMPA honored our LGBT military families through:
- Over one hundred care packages sent to deployed troops through our AMPA Gives Back care package drives.
- Our Military Partners Blog giving voice to the unique perspectives of our families.
- Our partnership with San Diego Pride to organize and participate in the first-ever national uniformed LGBT military contingent in the America’s Pride Parade.
- Our organization of the first LGBT military family contingent in the San Diego Veteran’s Day Parade.
- Inviting the first-ever same-sex military spouse to attend the White House Mother’s Day Tea with the First Lady of the United States, along with participation of our families in other White House events.
Nothing is more important to being an agent of change then by serving our families through:
- Our 2012 AMPA Lobby From Home Days, educating our elected officials on the plight of our families.
- Strongly advocating for further inclusion of our families in the White House Joining Forces Initiative.
- Highlighting to the public and elected officials the exclusion of our families in mainstream military-related organizations.
- Repeatedly calling on Defense Department leadership to change out-dated military regulations that negatively affect our families.
- Successfully educating the public on the plight for our families through national, regional, and local media, including outlets like CNN, NBC News, ABC News, MSNBC, the New York Times, TIME magazine, Huffington Post, the Advocate, and many, many more.
Thanks to our all-volunteer staff, AMPA is able to do a LOT with a little. Check out the rest of our proven record of accomplishments.
AMPA is a non-partisan, non-profit organization. Donate today to help us continue our mission for our modern military families!